In the meantime, let me share Nathaniel's birthday cake part II that we celebrated together with Tobias' birthday. When I asked him what he wanted for his bday cake this year, he immediately shouted "ice cream cakes!". Nathan loves ice cream cakes, he requested an ice cream cake also on his birthday two years ago.
Roasted Banana and Salted Caramel Ice Cream Cake Topped with Frozen Chocolate MousseChocolate cake - use any recipe you like, I used sour cream chocolate cake from a website that I don't remember anymore
Roasted Banana Ice Cream
Adapted from The Perfect Scoop
3 medium-sized bananas
1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed (original recipe require 1/3 cup of brown sugar)
1 Tbs. unsalted butter, cut in cubes
3/4 cup whole milk
3/4 cup heavy cream (or substitute with whole milk)
1.5 tsp. lemon juice
a pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degree F
- Slice the bananas 1/2" thick and mix it with brown sugar in an ovenproof baking dish (I used 8" square pyrex pan)
- Scatter the cubed butter on top
- Roast the bananas for 40 minutes, turning once halfway until the bananas are browned and cooked through
- Let cool for a little bit
- Put the bananas with all of the accumulated juice, milk, heavy cream, lemon juice, and salt in a blender and puree until smooth
- Refrigerate overnight
- Churn in an ice cream maker
Salted Caramel Ice Cream
Adapted from here
4 egg yolks
250ml whole milk
250ml heavy cream
1/4 vanilla bean pods, seeds scraped
1/2 tsp. kosher salt (I used about 1 tsp. of Tahitian vanilla bean sea salt, it has bigger granules)
- Put yolks into a medium bowl.
- In a saucepan, bring cream, milk and vanilla beans and pod to a simmer, set aside.
- In a larger saucepan, combine sugar and water to the consistency of wet sand and cook to a dark caramel by stirring constantly.
- Very slowly pour cream mixture into caramel, being careful not to splatter.
- Cook on low until all caramel is melted.
- Temper the egg yolks by pouring about 1 cup of the hot cream mixture into the egg yolks, then whisking constantly.
- Return yolks to pot of caramel cream and cook until it coats the back of a wooden spoon or to 84C)
- Strain and chill for at least 4 hours.
- Churn according to ice cream maker's manufacturers directions.
60g milk chocolate (or mix 40g milk chocolate and 20g dark chocolate)
30g heavy cream
150g heavy cream, whipped
- Combine the chocolate and the 30g cream, and melt it either in microwave or a double-boiler
- Let cool
- Fold in the whipped cream
- Assemble the cake in the order of (from bottom to top)
chocolate cake - banana ice cream - chocolate cake - salted caramel ice cream - frozen chocolate mousse