One of my brother's birthday was a few weeks ago (I have 6 older brothers). We don't usually have big celebration for birthdays, we would usually do birthday dinner, but nothing fancy. One thing for sure, there's always cake.
cakechef. I have been eager to make many of their cakes but there is not enough time for all that. I chose a simpler one this time, and with no directions provided, I think it is a safe bet.
Almond joconde, see recipe here minus the pistachio paste
Kirsch soaking syrup, see recipe here
Raspberry Garniture, see recipe here
White Chocolate and Yogurt Mousse
300g white chocolate
300g whole milk yogurt, at room temperature
8g gelatin leaf (I used 2 tsp. powdered gelatin, soaked in a bit of cold water, and melted in a microwave for a few seconds)
450g heavy whipping cream
- Melt white chocolate in double boiler
- Add the yogurt and the melted gelatin, mix well
- Meanwhile, whisk the cream till soft peak, then fold it in into the white chocolate mixture
250g mascarpone cheese
300g heavy whipping cream, whipped to soft peak
20g Amaretto (I didn't use this, substitute with Grand Marnier, Kirsch, Cointreau, or other fruit brandy)
4g gelatin leaf (I used 1 tsp. powdered gelatin, soaked in a bit of cold water, and melted in a microwave for a few seconds)
Pate a Bombe:
40g egg yolks
- Make pate a bombe by boiling the sugar and water in a saucepan and bring it to 245F.
- Put the egg yolk in a mixer bowl, when the sugar almost reaches the temperature, start whisking the yolk.
- Pour the sugar syrup into the egg yolk with the mixer still running and continue whisking until it becomes thick and pale
Note: I used a different method to make pate a bombe than the one stated in the recipe. The recipe suggested to whisk the yolk, sugar and water on a double boiler until it reaches 86C and continue whisking in the mixer
- Add the melted gelatin, liqueur, and mascarpone cheese
- Lastly, fold in the whipped cream
- Brush the almond joconde with Kirsch simple syrup
- Spread the mascarpone mousse over the joconde
- Place the second joconde on top, brush with syrup, and spread the raspberry garniture over it
- Pour the white chocolate mousse on top and smooth it out