Death By Chocolate Cake


I made this chocolate cake for my friend, who is a chocoholic. Me, being not a great fan of chocolate, although not a hater either, was trying to persuade her to change her cake selection. But what can I say, she's one stubborn person :). I always prefer fruity flavor rather than chocolate flavor if I have options.

So there I was thinking about the layer combination to make a great chocolate cake, that I would actually eat myself.
This cake consists of two layers of moist chocolate sponge cake brushed with raspberry simple syrup (always try to sneak something non-chocolate :P) with a single layer of crispy cocoa meringue in the middle.
The fillings are light and creamy dark chocolate mousse and coffee mousse (since I think chocolate and coffee is a perfect marriage), garnished with white and dark chocolate truffles and cocoa powder on top.

She loves the cake very much that she kept the leftover for herself in the freezer. She would ate just a couple of tablespoon per day so that she can enjoy the cake longer, hahahaha.....

Anyways, I don't remember the recipe that I used, since there isn't such things. I took the recipe for chocolate mousse from here, coffee mousse from there, my own frosting, etc. I didn't really like the recipe for the coffee mousse, it was way too strong and bitter (although I'm a perfectly coffee lover). So, I would just remember the components and creating my own recipe next time.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi there! i stumbled here through google search. just wondering how did u make the outer thin choc layer? hope u dun mind sharing it :)

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I mean this cake. Looks incredibly nice.

Bertha said...

Oh, thanks for pointing it out, I didn't even know that the first comment exist :).
Anyways, this is one of my old cakes, so I think if I remember correctly, I used parchment paper that I had been measured so that it can cover the whole cake (the circumference), and then measure the height that you want (it's a little too high on this cake). Then spread melted dark chocolate on the parchment evenly on the bottom side (the same height as the cake height), then spread random peaks on the top side (the additional height). Wrap it carefully around the cake and let it set in the fridge. Peel off the paper and voila! you've got your chocolate fence :). Have fun! email me if you have questions :)

Anonymous said...

Greetings I am so grateful I found your bblog
page, I really found you by accident, wyile I
was searching on Digg for something else, Nonetheless I am here now and would just like to say
thanks a lot for a marvelous post andd a all round interesting blog
(I also love the theme/design), I don't have time to go through
it all at the minute but I have bookmarked it and also added
in your RSS feeds, so when I have ttime I wil be back to read a lott
more, Please do kerp up the superb work.

My website: sheds